Huntington, New York? R.L. Simpson Junior High School? Raise your hands.
Digging through some boxes in my parents’ basement, I unearthed this Polaroid photo album I had (for some reason) compiled of most of my 7th grade teachers.
I went to Simpson from 1963 through 1965, a time when ‘junior high’ was 7th, 8th, and 9th grades. A time when we went from JFK’s assassination to Vietnam protests in front of the White House. From The Beatles coming to America to Bob Dylan releasing Highway 61 Revisited. I feel like we all knew they were incredible moments in history, but then again, what does “history” actually mean to a 12 year old.
My only indelible memories that year were from one class, 7th grade English, but they were doozies.
Miss Welsby was an exchange teacher from England, exotic for post war suburbanites. She had us pen pal with her UK students, who all wondered if we know about The Beatles? But really, a British pop band? Who cared?!
On November 22 we were sitting in Miss Welsby’s class when all of sudden the school wide PA crackled and something like a radio broadcast came on in mid-stream, a first for a system that was only used in homeroom. We listened along in horror as we heard the real time details in the aftermath of the President Kennedy assassination. Innocence torn asunder, I suppose.
This remembrance isn’t to short shrift Mr. Carcano (science), Mr. Godduhn (social studies), Miss Maertins (French), Mr. Randall (art), Miss Leslye (libarary), or Mr. Boyd (music and homeroom). A lot happened in those classes, lots of it life enhancing. But, for me at least, none as life altering as an English class that was the seedling of a life I’d lead.0 comments Tagged: Huntington, Halesite,.
HONEST TOM POMPOSELLO
YOUR CANDIDATE FOR RECEIVER OF TAXES
Hi there! My name is Thomas (Honest Tom) Pomposello. I’d like to cordially inform all my friends that I am the Huntington Tea Party’s candidate for Receiver of Taxes in the 1971 local elections. If things are as they seem, this year promises to be one that will be full of surprises in Our Town. So may the best man lose (why should this year be any different?), and I’ll see you all at the polls.
Honest Tom Pomposello
P.S.: Here are a few of my numerous qualifications - -
• I AM INDISPUTABLY THE LARGEST PERSON TO RUN FOR THE OFFICE OF RECEIVER OF TAXES IN THE LAST 40 YEARS. At 6’0” even in boots with one-half inch heels and 267½ lbs. without those same boots, it would seem that this be more than an unfounded claim. However, in the interest of fairness, upon request I can present factual data. (Actually the closest contender I suppose would be Mrs. Rosemary Bacon who held the office from 1936 - 1938; but even though she did tend a bit toward the chub, in reality she is little competition for me.)
• I AM THE ONLY CANDIDATE WHO HAS THE UNCONDITIONAL SUPPORT OF MISSISSIPPI FRED McDOWELL. I’m not sure what actual value this has since Fred can’t even vote for me (being an out of state resident and all that) but you’ve got to admit, it certainly does look impressive.
• I AM THE ONLY CANDIDATE WHO FRED SEIBERT WOULD EVEN CONSIDER PUTTING ON HIS RADIO SHOW. I’ve been of Fred’s show three times now, twice by proxy.
• I AM THE ONLY CANDIDATE WHO IS REALLY CLEAN-CUT. My mother says so.
• I AM THE ONLY CANDIDATE MATURE ENOUGH TO REMEMBER BOTH THE “RUDY KAZODEE" AND "CRUSADER RABBIT" TV SHOWS. In fact, in college I did my Honors Thesis on this very subject.
• I AM THE ONLY CANDIDATE WHO IS NOT ASHAMED TO ADMIT THAT WHEN I TAKE SHOWERS, I DRAW CLOSED THE BATH CURTAINS. Perfunctory.
• I AM THE ONLY CANDIDATE WHO REALLY TAKES THIS ELECTION SERIOUSLY. I need not prove this to you further - - simply re-read my above qualifications.
• I AM THE ONLY CANDIDATE WHO WOULD DELIBERATELY PUBLISH A FACT SHEET THAT IS IN ACTUALITY HALF LIES. Perhaps I should re-phrase that. I am the only candidate in this election who would ADMIT to deliberately publishing a fact sheet that is in actuality half lies.